Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Homemade Pesto


I was thinking if I would almost be considered a food snob if I would prefer to make my own pesto rather than buy it from the shop? I don't think I am that bad yet. Maybe when I can't bring myself to buy bread anymore, I might have some issues then, lol.

Homemade Pesto
This recipe is a bit of a go with the flow type, so just taste along the way.

Ingredients:
Big Bunch Basil
2+ Garlic Cloves
Few Sprigs of Parsley
1/4+ cup Pine Nuts
Parmesan Cheese
Olive Oil
Salt&Pepper
  1. Place basil, rough chopped garlic, parsley and pine nuts into food processor. I have done this many times with the Tupperware Happy Chopper (small quantity) and Turbo Chef too. Process till a nice finely chopped consistency.
  2. Grate in parmesan cheese and add a good 1/2 cup oil. Process again.
  3. Taste to see if you need salt, pepper or any more of the other components: cheese or nuts.
  4. Add more oil and process until you get to the consistency that you like.
  5. This will store well in fridge, just put a layer of olive oil on top to stop from browning. ALTHOUGH why waste a good thing? My batch went straight into a snappy bag, flattened and 4 sections formed with my fingers, then straight in the freezer. Happy Days.
Variation:

Rocket Lettuce & Cashews
Watch this space, now inspired to come up with some more variations.

Hints:
  • Parmesan Cheese freezes well, so there is no reason not to have it in your home. Use from frozen. Store back in freezer. I freeze alot of things. 
  • Buy pine nuts on sale. They are a great pantry staple in our home. So yummy on salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback, thoughts, comments...