Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Resourceful Italian Tomato Sauce

I don't buy meals in a jar, I also don't buy those sachets of stuff that you just add water to create a meal. I enjoy cooking from basic goodness. Tin stuff, of course I buy. Fresh is best where it can be used*. So here is a basic pasta sauce using what I could find from my garden and freezer.


I was given a whole heap of tomatoes that I couldn't see being used before they started to turn, so I simply froze them whole. I also froze some left over chopped up onion. These are added into the saucepan with some frozen tomato paste. I should have cooked the onion first, but the sauce still tasted fine. Then I added some basil and oregano. Eggplant and zucchini. Season and add garlic, you need garlic. Although I wouldn't recommend too much eggplant, it can be a bit overpowering. Once cooked and everything was soft, I blitzed it in a blender to get a nice saucy consistency. 


Too easy! And you know it is full of healthy goodness.
*I think frozen fresh is just as good as fresh not frozen :-O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback, thoughts, comments...